We wanted to help people save money and live longer by cooking habitually.
Over 15 months we launched an MVP, ran a test kitchen, developed a responsive web app and native iOS app, ran marketing experiments to acquire users, and temporarily offered grocery delivery.
We were one of 200 companies out of over 10,000 to receive an interview with YCombinator and received hundreds of heartfelt emails from happy users.
While the mission made sense, the business model ultimately did not. In the process we got to learn from every first startup mistake in the book.
What We Did
- User testing/research
- UX and UI design for a web app and native iOS app
- Front-end development
- Logo and brand design
- Ran social and referral marketing experiments to acquire users
- Ran a test kitchen
- Pitched to VC firms and startup competitions
- Hired employees and managed a network of freelancers
- Acquired 3500+ users
- Raised $40,000 in funding from VCs
- Developed 300 unique recipes
- Managed entire creative process from branding to app design and front-end development
- Interviewed with YCombinator
“It’s a really amazing tool for helping me save money and eat healthier. I’ve been having issues with my weight and keeping track of what I eat, but this helps me manage my diet while staying in budget. I’ve also been loving learning how to cook!”
Nathan P., Cookin user